Monday, November 1, 2010

What would you SAE?

When I say SAE, I am not referring to the Society for Automotive Engineers.  SAE stands for what should be the three tenets of  National Diabetes Awareness Month here in the US: Support, Advocate, Educate.  Today is SAE It Loud Day in the Diabetes OC, the brainchild of the fabulous and talented Sarah of Sugabetic.com.

Support
Now that it's National Diabetes Awareness Month (declared by President Obama) and/or American Diabetes Month (declared by the American Diabetes Association), there are going to be a lot more people out there raising awareness about diabetes.  There are going to be a lot of new people who may be turning to the Diabetes OC for support, help, information, answers.  I am going to make an effort this month to comment on other people's blogs instead of just reading and darting off to the next one.  I am going to support myself by checking my blood glucose more often, keeping up appointments and communication with my kickass CDE Sarah K, and calling my endo's office to make an appointment--finally.  I've been putting it off since I cancelled the last one.  Not good, I know.

Advocate
Did you know that just by watching a short YouTube video, you can help a child in need receive a week's worth of insulin?  Also, you'll be able to learn about the Big Blue Test, a great way for everyone to advocate for diabetes, on November 14, World Diabetes Day 2010!  In case you didn't click the link the first time around, you want to GO HERE for the video.  Bonus: the video stars real people with diabetes, including George and Manny!

Also, tomorrow is Election Day!  Go out and vote!  I know I will.

Educate
I am not a Certified Diabetes Educator.  I apparently need a degree in one of several AADE-approved fields plus I need to pass a licensing test.  I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications, which means I'm pretty decent with my words.  (Also 100% not AADE-approved, unless you're trying for a job in their PR department or something...) So while I am not a health professional of any sort, I am still able to educate people about diabetes.  Writing is often my best avenue to achieve this, so this month, I have taken on the National Blog Posting Month challenge!  I will write a new post every day this month, weekends included.  I haven't undertaken this challenge since 2007, so let's see what happens, shall we?

Additionally, the American Diabetes Association, in conjunction with their new blog, Diabetes Stops Here, is hosting their own 30 posts/30 days challenge!  There's going to be a lot of talking here over the next month, so I hope you readers enjoy my posts.  So I will say this, and say it with confidence: talk to you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. So many good things happening that it's hard to keep up. IT's a good problem to have I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!