Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Part of This Carb-y Breakfast!

It doesn't matter if you're a Type 1 or a Type 2, carb counting can be surprising.  In preparation for a ravenous run to the Panera Bread which shares a building with my office, I checked out their nutrition facts online this morning.

Did I want a whole grain bagel, or was I more in the mood for an egg soufflé?

The entire whole grain bagel clocked in at 70 grams of carbs, with a measly 6 grams of dietary fiber.  I'd be bolusing for about 64 grams of carbs!  Yet again proving that "whole grain" products are not necessarily "high fiber" or "low net carb" or "good for you".  I tend to eat carbs with reckless abandon some days.  I'm sure we've all done it at one point or another, but today I was feeling responsible.  How much worse could the egg soufflé be?

I was pleasantly surprised to find the egg soufflé (I was ordering the ham & swiss) had only 35 grams of carbs, with 2 grams of fiber, so it meant I'd be bolusing for only 33 grams!  Sure, half a bagel could have sufficed for the same amount of carbohydrate, but I was hungrier than that.  By ordering the soufflé, I also got a whopping 19 grams of protein; therefore, I was not starving two hours after like I would have been with a bagel!

I enjoy many breakfasts and lunches at Panera Bread.  They didn't ask me or pay me to write this.  Hell, they may not even know that I'm writing this.  If you enjoy eating there as I do, check out Panera Nutrition, their nutrition calculator website.  It's very helpful, and also a bit shocking!  Did I mention my egg soufflé had grams of fat in the double-digits?  Yeah, I guess what you sacrifice in bagel carbs you make up for in eggy, cheesy fats.  Oh, but they were tasty fats. 

2 comments:

  1. I am less shocked by the carb content than I am in the amount of sodium found in Panera's offerings. 550 grams of sodium in tuna salad? Geez, I would never have known!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Manhattan has no Panera's! Ever since being diagnosed with Type 1 a few months ago though, I have been shocked ny what I've found out about carb counts.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!