Monday, October 25, 2010

Dead-in-Bed Tragedy

The diabetes community-at-large lost another young member last week to the Dead-in-Bed phenomenon.  It's yet another heartbreaking reminder that our time on this earth, no matter how hard we try, can be a very fickle thing.  There is not much in the way of commentary I can offer that hasn't already been said. 

Amy Tenderich hosted a great guest post today at DiabetesMine by Michelle Page Alswager, who also lost her own 13-year-old to Dead-in-Bed.

Allison of Lemonade Life suggests that "we must live in hope and action" in a blog post from last Thursday.

Kelly of Diabetesaliciousness fame was so moved that she opted to join in the local Philadelphia JDRF Walk this past Sunday at the last minute.  She ended up raising over $300!

So many words of encouragement out there on the diabetes community, the sharing of stories, grief, fears, hopes, dreams.

It's such a scary thing.  It's a concept I'd never even thought about until I started seeing it in the news around the Diabetes OC.  Overthinking it can be a reality check.  This past Saturday, sleeping at home in my own bed, I woke up with a start.  My heart was pounding, and I was sweating.  I tossed off my blankets.  My blood glucose was a bit high, but nothing outlandish.  My heart just kept on pounding.  Does a heart arrhythmia feel like anything?   I asked myself, paranoid.  What if one day I just didn't wake up? 

I don't know how to prepare a loved one for this kind of thought without them delving into a world of worry, pain and potential heartbreak.  I got up, had a glass of water, tried some deep breaths.  I felt better.  I was probably having a nightmare that caused my heart to race.  I got back in bed but continued to toss and turn for the next hour while the man I love snored softly next to me, entirely oblivious to my frustrated flopping.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for these families.  My heart goes out to you.  I'm not sure that there is much else I can do or say.  I hope for strength for you all in the days to come.

1 comment:

  1. claire whitehead8:22 PM

    I agree with you so much. I had never even heard of dead in bed syndrome before last week. I think " I have been type 1 for 12 years and never knew I could just DIE in my sleep??" terrifying. I am now afraid to go to sleep at taht last minute before I close my eyes just in case it's the last time. I woke up 62 at 5am this morning and thought- how many times have I been low and NOT woken up ? It makes me feel more vigilant about setting a sleep alarm to test at 4am for a while. Just to ease my mind. My Dad had a-fibrillation in his heart. I can't help but wonder about me. I think we are all thinking this together though. Scary. Sad. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!