Friday, November 26, 2010

Two Bodies; One Brain.

Tonight, I will be attending my 10-year High School Reunion.  Honestly, I'm not good friends with a lot of people from high school anymore.  I don't have a high-fallutin' job I want to go brag about.  I'm not even sure if it's going to be a lot of fun.  I am going because of this woman:

Me on the left, Cari on the right.
Ladies and gentleman, this is Ms. Cari J.  We have been friends since we were, what, eleven?  Twelve?  We bonded while singing showtunes at our weekly Odyssey of the Mind team meetings, and shortly after, she moved into my neighborhood.  If you look out from the back of the house where I spent most of my formative years, you can see her house.  We used to talk about how we should've just bought walkie-talkies and saved on phone bills.

Cari called me up a couple months back and asked me the question I was about to ask her: "Are you going to the reunion?"  We could've cared less about the event itself.  Let's face it, at least some part of going to your high school reunion is about entitlement.  We grew up as Honors students in a pretty small town.  Many people we know either stayed in Williamsport and started raising families, or they got as far from town as they could, though they are maybe wrapped up in med school or a burgeoning law career.  I guess we fancy ourselves to be almost-hip, urban suburbanites who have the pleasure of being mostly free in our late 20's.

We'll eat some mediocre, overpriced food and reminisce about the good old days.  Then we'll just talk about life.  Cari still sends me awesome birthday presents.  She's funny, smart, and has recently joined an ice hockey league.  Look out world; she's got pink hockey gloves.

But she did start her career as a Type 3 with a little diabetes law enforcement.  She used to keep me from sniffing candy wrappers during the course of our friendship.  I forgive her for that.  Especially because this year for Halloween, she dressed up as the world's favorite new celebrity diabetes spokesperson!
Just like every pump has its dawn phenomenon...
So here's to friendships that last beyond high school.  To those people you can live hundreds of miles away from, yet the instant you meet up again you're still finishing each other's sentences.

Man, I hope this reunion thing doesn't suck.  Oh well, if it does, I'll be in good company.  Then we'll take our boys and go drink somewhere that we can have a REALLY good time.

Oh, and if you want to know more about what Cari is like, I suggest you go read her blog, The Caustic Critic, in which she discusses movie guilty pleasures, TV obsessions, Sookie Stackhouse novels, and does Cannonball Reads of books.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I wuv you too!

    The thing that is amazing to me is that despite being hundreds of miles apart and not talking as often as we'd like, we are still so similar that we came thisclose to showing up with the same haircut.

    I'll dress up as Bret Michaels for you anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!