Monday, May 13, 2013

D-Blog Week, Day 1: Share & Don't Share

It's D-Blog Week...join your favorite diabetes bloggers as we write about/share/mouth off about different diabetes-related topics all week.  Links and learn more at: Bitter-sweet Diabetes!

Monday:  Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see?

1.)  Today, I left my insulin pump at home.  I commuted all 40 minutes to work and then realized it was still on the bed.  My normal routine was interrupted this morning by a cable/internet installation.  I didn't give myself my usual pre-commute patdown to make sure my pump is on my person somewhere, be it in a pocket or under a bra strapYou may think I wouldn't want the healthcare team to know about my snafu, but honestly, I trust mine enough that they were the first people I called.  "I have Novolog and syringes.  What's my game plan for the day until I can get home to my pump?"  We looked up basal rates and bolus amounts.  We discussed extra testing and doing corrections.  It hasn't been the most pleasant day, but it's been okay.  I'm thirsty.  I'm tired.  I'm getting by.  I think I'd really want the healthcare team to know that information in the clutch is appreciated and vital to what could otherwise have become a diabetes emergency.  Daily life with diabetes can bring very unexpected things.  Your prompt assistance is welcomed!

2.)  I wish a lot of healthcare providers could see that many people are shy to talk about what's concerning them the most, even when they say you can tell them anything.  In my experience, doctors don't necessarily talk diabetes and vices (sex, drugs, alcohol, rock 'n' roll) unless you really bring it up.  Teenagers and college students wishing to experiment with such things, and wishing to experiment safely, don't really have an outlet for this kind of info if they can't trust their doctor/nurse practitioner/diabetes educator.  I'm not the only one who's wished we had more resources for learning about what some might consider less-than-appropo topics!

3.)  I hope you DON'T just see noncompliant patients who won't do what they're told but walk around like everything is okay.  I hope you DO see real people with real stressful lives sometimes, people who sometimes need patience, encouragement, and a game plan that fits their lives so they can manage their health accordingly.

4.)  Stop making judgments on the health of people with diabetes before you've appropriated examined things.  I have left doctors because they've acted like I've brought a health problem on myself due to uncontrolled Type 1.  Do some tests.  Give me some scientific proof.  I married an engineer, and I'm pretty smart myself, so logically prove to me why and how some issues I have are related to my diabetes, and then we can talk about them.  Otherwise, I feel discriminated against.  You're a doctor.  I expect you to do tests, not to dismiss me based on your personal judgment.

5.)  I honestly hope my healthcare team would see most anything.  I don't think there's much of anything I'd want them to miss.  I feel like having a more personal relationship with our healthcare providers makes us a stronger team together.  If it weren't for the great family doctor I saw in Phoenixville, I may not have such an awesome endocrinologist!  I may never have gone to a psychiatrist and eventually a therapist to talk about depression/anxiety.  I think we should all be able to trust our healthcare teams!  Now, whether or not you'd want to tell them your favorite song to sing in the shower or your biggest celebrity crushes is entirely up to you. 

Stay tuned for more D-Blog Week dorkiness right here!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 PM

    I left my pump on the bed one day, too! How nice that the office worked with you to help you cope with your difficult day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I've left my pump at home, I've always just gone back and got it, or had someone bring it to me. I'm not sure I could have survived on just Humalog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ALL of the points you make, and also learned that if we ever forget the pump at home, we don't just automatically implode.

    Happy blog week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ol' "pump-at-home" trick gets me every time. I've only done it twice, but it sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, H. Sorry to hear that you left your pump at home - I've done that before myself.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!