Monday, November 8, 2010

Things That Shouldn't Be Minty Fresh

I had some great ideas for today's post initially, but guess what?  They have been pre-empted. 

Attention all interweb hypochondriacs, amateur doctors and real doctors alike: I have a symptom and it's weirding me the hell out.  Over the past couple of days, I've had this passing cold, tingly sensation that occurs between my throat and the upper part of my chest.  It came and went, I assumed it was just a side effect of the colder weather here in Pennsylvania now that it's November.  But today it is here with a vengeance.

What is this sensation exactly?  It's the sensation you get when you bite into a York Peppermint Pattie.  It feels like I've swallowed some severe toothpaste, or I've been sucking down menthol Halls all day long.  It is making me nervous.

So of course, I turn to the internet's finest health professionals (yeah right), the dwellers of internet message boards, because a Google search yielded no reasonable results from less dubious sources like the Mayo Clinic or the CDC.  They seem to be telling me 3 things:

1.) It's acid reflux/GERD/something else I forget that's related to your stomach.

2.) It's my heart (which scares the ever-lovin' SHIT out of me)
3.) Nobody knows. Nobody's going to tell you what it is.  It'll come and go in a couple months, tops.

Not helpful at all, unless you count helping in making me feel a bit panicked.  Yes, I know the end result should be calling a doctor, but I just want something now.  Do I go buy some antacids and see if they provide relief?  Do I stop at the urgent care clinic on the way home, or do I just wait it out until morning to call my doc? 

If I do go to the doc, I don't want to see Dr. P, the lady doctor who mentioned Diabetic Gastroparesis back in August.  I got so angry with her, and yet here's a symptom that could potentially be tied in.  The last thing I want that smug woman doing is giving me that I-told-you-so look.  Or telling me outright she doesn't understand my problem and I should just get my diabetes under control.  It's hard to get your diabetes under control when you're anxious about what's happening to your body!

Here's the deal.  It's not pain...it doesn't hurt.  It isn't a burning sensation, but I think maybe that's changing a bit?  Either that or I'm paranoid that it's happening.  It's cold, it's minty-fresh, and it doesn't belong there. Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!