Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When Sick Days Bite Back

I'm sick. I've been sick since Christmas Eve with what I've deemed the Cough from Hell. It didn't seem like bronchitis. It was worse than a cold. It didn't come with any of the symptoms of a cold or even a mild pneumonia. It was just a cough. A lung-shaking, gut-quaking cough.

It was hard to tell if my blood glucose levels were high due to sickness, or due to all kinds of holiday eating and drinking. Mmm, delicious holiday snacks and beverages. I do hope everyone out there had very lovely holidays. We had a huge New Years' Eve party, and I had honestly forgotten how many crazy friends I have. We're talking multiple midnight kisses here, because that's just how we roll. But I'm digressing, as usual...

I'm sick. Usually, when I say that I'm sick, you can add on some sort of whining noise of your choice at the end of "I'm sick", because that's how I sound. Whiny and annoyed. Being sick is definitely not one of my favorite things. I went to the doctor on Monday, finally getting myself a prescription for antibiotics to hopefully deal with this cough. So far, it seems to be working, at least a little. Then, this morning around 4am I woke up with all kinds of stomach issues, just generally feeling awful. In my groggy state, I decided my blood sugar was probably on the higher side, so I bolused a couple of units without testing.

I wake up when Matt goes to work at 7am. I still feel like a steaming heap of crap. I pull a meter from my bedside, and a test reveals I am 358. I make a beeline for the bathroom, dialing up my correction bolus. Bzz bzz bzz bzz bzz bzz bzz bzz. Blockage detected. Is this my problem? I leave the bathroom, replace my Cleo, finish my bolus. Go back to sleep. Wake up at 8:45. Call work to tell them I wasn't feeling well, slept poorly, and will be in around noon.

Wake up at 11am. BG is back to a more reasonable 192. I still feel cruddy. I still feel cruddy even now. I hate days like this, when you don't know if the sick feelings are from whatever virus is having its way with you, or if it's because of your blood sugar wonkiness. Send some healthy vibes my way, would ya?

1 comment:

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!