Tuesday, July 1, 2008

CGMS Denial of a Different Kind

Call me old-fashioned. Tell me that I'm just like the insurance companies. Go ahead.

But I personally do not fully believe in CGMS technology yet. I don't have good faith that it's accurate enough for me to want to even attempt to get insurance coverage for a device of my own.

I wore a DexCom Seven a few months back, and it was definitely a fascinating, enlightening experience, but it also left me somewhat irritated. What's everyone making a fuss over? Why doesn't this work better? I am two freakin' feet away from the receiver, and it's not picking up my numbers. WTF?

I think the sensors are bulky, and I find it a little irritating to know that in order to use a CGMS of any kind, I have to have two chunks of plastic stuck on my skin to bump into things and cause me unhappiness.

It's amazing to be able to see if my blood glucose is trending up or down, and it's fascinating to see how fast your sugar levels shoot up if you eat carbs and forget to bolus. I have no qualms about wearing one again. I can get loaners at Gary's office which I can fortunately cover using the FSA that Matt and I have set up through his work.

But owning one of my own? I am not ready for that yet. I know they work wonders for some, though, so on this CGMS Denial Day, I just want to say that I think all insurance companies should definitely offer coverage of this ever-advancing technology. It's important to a lot of people with diabetes, and even though I don't feel like it's something I'm ready for yet, that could all change in a short amount of time.

When I want to get my own CGMS, I expect some coverage, dammit. I'm just not adamantly interested right now.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, thank you so much for being honest. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!