Thursday, March 6, 2008

The First Rule of Pump Club is...

Don't talk about Pump Club...

Blog about it instead. So yes, Matt and I headed down to Wynnewood last night for the Insulin Pump Club of Greater Philadelphia. I've noticed one thing in the 2 meetings I've been to at Gary's office--every diabetes support group should be this much fun.

When I think of a support group, outside of the Diabetes OC, of course, I don't necessarily think of a bright, happy place with lots of people laughing. Maybe that's just because so many support groups are associated with generally glum prognoses--cancer, addiction, grieving. If you are looking for a diabetes support group that is merely for venting, wailing and generally gnashing your teeth, this is probably not the place to start. As a person with diabetes, you are welcome to have all kinds of emotions and feelings toward your condition, but at Gary's support meetings, that's not the focus. Personally, I feel this is a good thing.

Pump Club felt like what I hoped for--a social group of pumpers. It can be downright confusing to hear beeping in a room full of people only to realize it's NOT ACTUALLY YOU, but everyone knows exactly what you mean. It was a fun night, and I met some cool new people. Matt even got a kick out of it, especially when someone referred to him as a "Type 3".

And...I had my first face-to-face meeting with another d-blogger! Kelly from Diabetesaliciousness was there, and we had a grand ol' time. I think we may have even frightened Gary with our combined dorky powers! Well, probably not. Gary's in the Dorkabetic club, too--he mentioned to everyone last night how he went to see The Simpsons Movie on opening night, complete with a box of pink-frosted donuts.

The meeting had a discussion topic--one that I've been a bit reluctant to try myself--CGMS. We talked about the different systems, their advantages, their disadvantages, and just when the heck the Abbott Navigator is going to come out. (Answer: the jury's still out on that.) It made it seem more appealing to me, less intimidating. At the end of the night, I mention to Gary that I'm coming in Thursday for an appointment. He checks his sheet, and it says, "Hannah McD--CGMS data". This confuses both of us, as I'm not wearing any kind of CGMS.

"My appointment got switched to you because Karin's still out on that family emergency," I tell him. "She and I were going to talk food stuff. But I don't have a CGMS to dump, so what will we talk about?"

Gary pauses with a thoughtful expression and a snap of his fingers. Just short of saying 'Eureka!', he says "We're going to put you on a Dexcom tomorrow!"

I was curious. I was not entirely sold on the idea, but I thought it at least somewhat interesting. "Okay," I answered. Today at the office, Gary stuck the sensor in (which hurt considerably LESS than a pump infusion set, if you can believe it), we fired it up, and soon I was on my way home with a big loaner kit including a charger cable, a OneTouch Ultra for calibration, a connection cable for doing said calibrations, a cumbersome DexCom belt clip, and a lot of instructions.

"You'll love it!" Gary assured me.

So today starts what will be known around here as the 14 Days of DexCom! My first calibration was a mere 15 minutes or so ago, and I am cruising amazingly well at 125 according to the DexCom. My calibration finger pricks said I was 172...and 150. For now, I'll take it.

Yesterday, this was going to be a post about my lack of motivation, how I can't manage to count carbs effectively or perform a single basal test, blah blah wah wah poor me, but today...I have new toys to play with! I'm really excited to gain all kinds of new information. Hey, isn't that what being a dork is all about?

Also, more excitement--not one, but two job interviews tomorrow for very, very cool things.

(And readers, please advise..."14 Days of Dexcom" or "14 Days of Dex"? I don't want people thinking I'm talking about going on some 2-week glucose-tab-only diet. Gross.)

Can't wait to keep you all in the know about late-night alarms, trends, and my general opinions of the DexCom.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great group. So cool that you had an unexpected meet up. The Dexcom trial sounds like it will be helpful for you, and 14 Days of Dex is more appealing to me but whatever. Good luck with the interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H -

    Dorkabetic Twin powers unite, form of: A PINK FROSTED SUGAR DONUT!!!
    "Yummmm O-Nut!"

    So great meeting you and your Type 3 last night!! How strange ( and awesome) to talk with u face to face!

    Good luck on your interviews - I know you'll kick ass.

    I also know that your trial on the Dexcom will be eye-opening.

    Your going to learn so much about you!

    k2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. It's always nice to meet people who really understand.

    Good luck with the interviews! Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a night you had! I'm enjoying my new Dexcom. I'm not sure if you can get a lot out of it in 14 days, but it's worth sticking with it. To get a lot out of it, and make changes, you have to look at trends over a period of time. It is really helping me fine tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really interesting in hearing what you think about Dexcom. Ever since I tried a Guardian, I've been thinking more and more about using CGMS more long term.
    It sounds like a great support group to get involved with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so awesome. I am jealous, out here in WC-land...

    Oooh, and on the Abbott Navigator, see this:

    http://www.diabetesmine.com/2008/02/whatever-happen.html

    Best,
    AmyT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah! AWESOME title & first line. I loved it! Made me grin widely before even reading more!

    Gary rocks, and he's an awesome friend to have. So different (and refreshing) than the typical "clinician" we think of.

    And to get to meet the great K2, live and in person?! Sweetness. I only hope to have the opportunity some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah

    Best of luck on those interviews. I hope you land the job of your dreams.

    When your dexcom has settled down, you might want to take advantage of it to check your basals. It's REALLY easy with a CGM.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!