Saturday, November 24, 2007

Williamsport, PA

Does the name of my hometown sound familiar to you? Perhaps it's because it's the home of the Little League Baseball World Series. If you've ever watched this event on TV in August, you've seen a small part of my hometown.

Here's a secret for you: ESPN says that they are broadcasting from Williamsport, Pennsylvania, but if you want to get really technical about it, the stadiums where they play the games are in South Williamsport, which has a different zip code.

Living in a larger metropolitan area these days, this doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm just around the corner from Philadelphia, and there are a ton of zips for Philly.

But growing up here, I always feel like people treat South Williamsport as a completely different town, even though it's right across the river. I guess it's because it has its own school district? When I think about it too much these days, it confuses me.

Tomorrow is our last day here. Expect an update from Blue Bell tomorrow night, and just in time. I am looking forward to getting back to my cable internet!

2 comments:

  1. South Williamsport is a TOTALLY different town. The only reason Williamsport is named on the LLWS telecasts is because Southside is too small to show up on any maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly disagree with Cari. I think the main reason why Williamsport is used rather than South Williamsport is that both Little League and the Little League World Series started in Williamsport. I believe the move to Southside was done to accomodate larger crowds and have more land available for administrative offices, International Grove, etc.

    Brian L., Williamsport native

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!