Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Diabetes Bargains: the DIY Insulin Pump Cozy

File Under:  NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. NOT RECOMMENDED BY PUMP COMPANIES. I LIKE THIS; YOUR EXPERIENCES MAY VARY.

Socks.  They are versatile.  They keep your feet warm & dry.  They can be a marvelous fashion statement.  They make fantastic puppets.  But what else can they do?

As many of you know by now, I've got a Tandem T:Slim insulin pump.   I tend to wear my pump in my bra when I'm wearing dresses, and of course, my CDE recommended against wearing the screen-side of the pump against my skin.  It's no big deal to make sure it's turned the right direction, but it's summer.  You may have been taught that women don't sweat, but honey, some of us do.  So, much like keeping my feet dry and happy, I have turned to socks to keep my pump dry, soft and happy. 

Sure, you can buy a bra pouch for $10 or more, but I've gone the thrifty (not to mention more colorful) route.  At a discount store, I purchased a pack of 6 pairs of infant socks for about $4.  That's 12 pump covers, people! 

Granted, we may not all have the cleavage necessary to pack a pump into a bra without anyone noticing, but certainly this is a practice that could be adapted to all kinds of people, regardless of gender, age, or chest size.

The steps are simple.  Open pack of socks.  Insert pump into single sock.  Stuff into bra, pocket, TummieTote, whatever!  It's a quick and easy cover, and a cheap layer of protection.  If you're handy with sewing, you could probably put some velcro on the sock opening as well to keep things more secure. 

I'm enjoying this little discovery of mine.  It might work for you too.  It's a near perfect size for the Tandem.  Check out some photos!

Yes I have owls and little woodland creatures on my sheets. They're adorable. Anyway, check the fit!  And yes, I have them in blue as well as a bunch of other colors.

The T:Slim and an infant sock: well-sized for each other. Also, keeps your touchscreen and your entire pump out of the way of sweat when you want it close to your skin. Unrelated: I named that pink owl Nervert because he's obviously over-caffeinated and twitchy.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 PM

    I've been using baby socks for my pump for years. At times I wear night gowns to bed and a baby sock pinned to the gown on the inside makes a perfect out of the way spot for my pump. I got the idea years ago when I got my first pump and with the pump there was sleeve of sorts to put my pump in and it reminded me of a baby sock. Since then been using baby socks even when I wear pjs.

    Betty Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby socks FTW!!!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!