Friday, January 5, 2007

A Catch-Up in List Form Because I'm Lazy

1. My heart. It's beating too fast. Enter Atenolol into my already sizeable mix of drugs. The doctor didn't call it autonomic neuropathy, but she said it might have something to do with the diabetes. My thought is that my dad has a history of heart disease, and some kind of odd physical thing about his heart. I believe one of his arteries was bent oddly, which they discovered about a year ago when he had open heart surgery. So what is it to me? Right now, one more pill to take unless that doesn't improve things in the long run.

2. My new job is great. I have never been so busy at any job I've had. I am the assistant to the entire sales department of a beverage distributor. I'm learning more than my share about wines, liquors, and some beer. (Though thus far I've learned more about beer from my homebrewin' husband.) Ever get that feeling at a new job that you're a novelty in the department when you first show up? I think I may be the youngest person working at the company (except for a guy who looks my age out in the warehouse). I get to be creative and do some office-y stuff. Who's gonna learn to change a toner cartridge? Who's gonna make 200 copies of a Champagne Brunch menu and then cut them to size? Who's gonna call up the sales force to tell them to come pick up their damn samples already? Oh, that's just me. Plus, health benefits kick in this month. Rockin'.

3. Happy New Year. It's 2007. As one of my favorite Death Cab for Cutie songs goes, "So this is the new year, and I don't feel any different." I hope this year I can feel better. Maybe get healthy. Maybe join The OC New Me Challenge. I'll try to decide by tomorrow. I don't want to run out of time! Argh!

4. This Christmas, I got a refurbished iPod mini. It's pretty. I haven't tried to use it yet, because I am waiting to hook it up to my husband's old computer, and his iTunes has a bunch of music I don't like in it. I don't want that crap on my precious iPod...I want some freakin' pop-punk and show tunes and disco and 80's stuff...................

5. Saw the movie "Children of Men". Was blown away. If you like dystopian tales, see this movie--the gritty realism of a future Britain where no one can have children and the government stages a war against illegal immigrants, plus tidbits of heart and humor that don't feel forced or faked. There aren't many movies where you can see humans at their best AND worst.

6. An amusing story. At work the other day, I felt myself going low. Check my blood--81. I feel awful and need to drive home in half an hour. Sure, 81 is "normal" for some people, but since I'm usually high, I feel crappy. Hungry. Shaky. No glucose tabs in my purse. No candy in the sales office, and I don't feel like walking down to the reception desk to raid Carol's stash of LifeSavers. Into the break room I go, searching for a sugar packet, when what to my wandering eyes should appear? Individual-serve sweetened Coffee Mate (the liquid kind) in French Vanilla. I popped them open and drank them like shots. Honestly, they were pretty tasty by themselves. My roommate, upon hearing this, agreed on the tastiness, while my hubby and a friend both made faces and said, "Ugh, too sweet."

So, what's the most improvisational thing you've ever done to treat a low?

4 comments:

  1. You should join the OC New Me Challenge!! Do it! Do it!

    You can be pretty conservative in your goals, and any progress is good progress right!

    Plus, have you seen all the cool stuff Allison is getting together for us!?

    Hmmm - I remember sucking maple syrup right from the bottle before. I think your story beats mine by a long shot!! Or maybe a coffee shot? heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man oh man oh man. That coffee creameer stuff is icky icky icky! I guess at least it did the trick! I am glad you are enjoying your job. I had a really crummy job a couple of years ago and when I started the job I have now I was shell-shocked with how wonderful it was in comparison! A good job makes a huge difference in quality of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, try not to be upset about the atenolol - I have taken it for 5 years with great results. I know it's hard to see a big lineup of meds on the table.............but this is saving your heart a lot of unnecessary beats so it will not wear out ahead of time.
    Have a good week ahead.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the extra meds.

    FWIW, I've lost count of the extras that I consume between my asthma and my diabetes.

    I did rebel recently and decided to drop the lisinopril that my endo put me on as a precaution. My blood pressure has always run low, for which I consider myself really blessed.

    I did also change to using a 1/2 dose of lipitor every other day. I've been doing this for the last few months and I'll be interested to see what my fasting lipids are next time I test.

    As for improvising when low, I really can't remember - though I'm sure that I have.

    Generally I have Gatorade in my car, my office, and around the house. So I try to be never too far from a reliable source.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use your commenting powers for good, not evil. Excelsior!